Are you wondering how to hang posters on your wall without damaging them? Are you having a hard time hanging your posters straight?
We’re here to help!
Hanging posters like a pro isn’t that difficult if you know what to do. Following the methods listed in this post, you’ll be able to hang your posters with ease, regardless of whether your poster is framed. Whether in your living room or bedroom, you’ll be able to hang your poster on the wall fuss-free and with no risks involved.
So without further ado, let’s learn how to hang posters without damaging the wall!
You’ll need at least some of the following:
- The poster (obviously)
- Duct tape
- Double-sided tape/magic tape
- Removable putty
- Binder clips
- Slide binders
Before Getting Started
Before tackling the job itself, make sure you do the following:
- Wash your hands. Washing your hands will prevent any damage to the poster itself. According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should wash your hands for 15-20 seconds to get rid of germs and dirt.
- Frame your poster. If you want your poster to look brand-new for longer, it’s better to frame the poster. Having a frame considerably increases its durability.
- Lay the poster on a flat surface. To prevent curled edges, leave your poster on a flat surface for a few hours before getting started with the steps.
- Clean your wall. Don’t forget to clean the area you’re planning to use for displaying your poster map – a damp cloth should be enough.
And remember – doing household chores can burn up to 100 calories!
Ways to Hang Posters Like a Pro
By Using Double-Sided Removable Tape
The most common and possibly most simple method of hanging posters is using double-sided removable tape. Double-sided tape is easy to use, and can often be reused too (most double-sided tapes are 60-70% reusable).
However, choosing the wrong tape significantly increases the risk of damaging your wall, so make sure you use a suitable type!
By Using Magic Tape
Can’t find the perfect double-sided tape for your wall? Don’t worry, magic tape will do the job just as well!
Magic tape is a transparent tape that can be used for many of your DIY projects. It’s also one of the better alternatives to double-sided tape.
Easy to remove, and designed to hold your print in place for a long time, it’s ideal for poster hanging.
By Using Reusable Adhesive Putty
Reusable adhesive putty, made from rubber, is another option for hanging your poster. But bear in mind that using an excessive amount can leave residue on your wall.
If you’re using adhesive putty to hang your poster, make sure you avoid freshly painted areas, otherwise some of the paint might come off when you eventually remove your print.
By Using Thumbtacks
Thumbtacks are perhaps the best choice for wooden walls and cork boards. They’re easy to use and remove without causing any significant damage to the surface.
Using thumbtacks couldn’t be simpler: just poke the tack through your poster and push it into the wall until only the head of the thumbtack is visible.
By Using Slide Binders
Slide binders can also be used for poster hanging – no, we’re not kidding! Just attach binders to the top and bottom edges of your poster, attach a string to the top edge, and you’re sorted.
By Using Binder Clips
For smaller prints and posters, binder clips are the perfect choice because they’re specifically designed for holding postcards and small posters. They also add a classy appearance to your wall.
Binder clips are sold in almost every convenience store so you won’t have any trouble finding them. Alternatively you could go for bulldog clips, which are very similar to binder clips only slightly bulkier.
How to Hang Posters Straight
Hanging your wall art so it’s straight without using a level can be tricky. The best thing you can do is use a laser level.
A laser level is an easy-to-use tool, available for low prices on Amazon and most home improvement stores. Remember to always wear glasses while working with the tool to protect your eyes!
How to Remove Posters Without Damaging the Wall
If you’re looking for the best methods of removing a poster, follow the quick tips listed below:
- Peel slowly, starting with the edges of the poster. Don’t try to peel the poster in one go, take one edge at a time to prevent any damage to the wall
- If you used adhesives, use a heat gun or hairdryer to remove the adhesive agent
- If you’re dealing with double-sided tape, remove the tape from the end and then slowly peel off the poster from the walls
Following these tips should be enough to hang your poster with ease. That said, if you have any questions about hanging your personalized map poster, feel free to reach out to us at any time!