Maps have been used throughout history. For centuries they’ve been helping us navigate unfamiliar territories, whether sprawling cities or desolate bushland.
Despite the popularity of digital tools such as Google Maps, traditional printed paper maps still see a lot of demand. And it only makes sense, given what great travel companions they make!
In this piece, we pay tribute to the earliest navigation tools with 8 beautiful poster maps featuring some of the most amazing cities in the world!
#1 New York City Map Posters
New York City is not only the biggest city in the United States, it’s also the country’s most populous.
Frequently labeled the City that Never Sleeps and also known by its nickname the Big Apple, New York City is the country’s foremost hub for international finance, media, culture, entertainment, and fashion.
Interesting Facts about New York City
- New York was once known as New Amsterdam – a name given to it by the early Dutch settlers
- The name “Big Apple” was made popular by a newspaper editor, John Fitzgerald, who titled his column “Around the Big Apple”. Fitzgerald first heard this term used by stable boys to describe the city as a place of opportunity
- The first pizzeria in New York was opened in 1895 by Gennaro Lombardi, sparking a pizza frenzy in the city
- New York City Subway buskers need to undergo auditions before being allowed to busk
- New York City is the first city in the world to have an underground park. As of 2021, it’s still under construction
#2 Paris Map Posters
Just saying the name “Paris” is enough to conjure up a complete mental image. Paris, the Capital of Love at the very heart of Europe, has been capturing our imaginations for centuries.
From its well-known artworks to its spectacular architectural design, this city, with its irresistible beauty, is one of the most sought-after destinations of the world.
If you get to visit the city, don’t miss the opportunity to see its iconic landmarks! The map of Paris below gives you a quick overview of the famous sites associated with each district of this European metropolis.
Interesting Facts about Paris:
- The Eiffel Tower, one of the most iconic structures in the world, actually moves! During severe storms, it’s been documented to sway from side to side by up to 13cm
- Paris isn’t actually the largest French-speaking city in the world. This title belongs to Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo
- There is only one stop sign in the whole city
- The Eiffel Tower isn’t the most visited attraction in the city. Its popularity has been surpassed by that of Notre Dame Cathedral
- Paris was originally a Roman city known as “Lutetia”
#3 Amsterdam Map Posters
Amsterdam is known for its beautiful bridges, pretty canals, markets, and a seemingly infinite number of bicycles. There’s a number of reasons why the city keeps attracting millions of tourists every year.
Since Amsterdam is a comparatively small city, all its main attractions are within a convenient distance – and they’re easily accessible by bicycle or the advanced public transportation system.
On top of that, Amsterdam is brimming with splendid examples of modern architecture which blend in organically with the historic buildings and facades.
Interesting Facts about Amsterdam:
- Amsterdam has more than 165 canals and 1,280 bridges, which is why it’s sometimes called the “Venice of the North“
- Amsterdam has the highest number of museums per square meter in the world
- The city has a pedal pub, which is essentially a bar on wheels. You can drink beer while pedaling through the streets of Amsterdam
- Amsterdam has the oldest stock exchange in the world
- The name of the city originates from “Amstel Dam”, which is the name of a dam built over the Amstel River
#4 London Map Posters
Let’s start with this fact: if London was a country, it would be the eighth most populous in Europe.
Today, London is one of the most visited cities in the entire world. Not too surprising given that the city has something to offer everyone: from culture to history, from fine dining to wild parties.
One of the true Western metropolises, the capital of the UK is a melting pot of different cultures, lifestyles and experiences.
Interesting Chicago Map Posters
- There are 15 secret rivers that flow under the city
- It took 7 long years to finish the London Eye
- London used to be called Ludenwic, Londinium, and Lunenburg!
- In the UK, drivers drive on the left side of the road, but there’s one road in London where they have to drive on the right
- London once tried to compete with Paris’ Eiffel Tower by building a structure even taller, but the project was called off midway through due to poor engineering work
#5 Tokyo Map Posters
One of the liveliest cities in the world, Tokyo is one of the 47 prefectures of Japan, comprising 23 central city wards and numerous smaller cities, villages, and towns on the west side of the main city center.
This megacity, known for its high-rise buildings, packed trains, innovative architecture, and revolutionary technology, is without doubt one of the most interesting cities in the world.
Interesting Facts about Tokyo
- From the 17th to 19th century, the official name of Tokyo was Edo
- There are 14 3-star Michelin restaurants in the city
- Tokyo’s Tsukiji is the busiest seafood market in the world and the place where the famous 5am tuna auction takes place
- Shinjuku railway station has 36 platforms and 200 exits
- Tokyo Tower gets repainted every 5 years using more than 7,500 gallons of paint
#6 Sydney Map Posters
Sydney is the most populous city in Australia and Oceania. It’s located on the east coast of Australia.
The Sydney metropolitan area surrounds the biggest natural harbor in the world and stretches approximately 43.5 miles along its shore, reaching the Blue Mountains to the west, Hawkesbury to the north, and Macarthur to the south.
Interesting Facts about Sydney
- The city is positioned at the same latitude as Buenos Aires and Cape Town
- Sydney was formerly known as “Albion”
- More than 230 films have been set in the city, including Finding Nemo
- Besides English, commonly spoken languages in the city include Arabic and Chinese
- Sydney is not Australia’s capital, Canberra is
#7 Berlin Map Posters
A home to more than 3.4 million people, Berlin, the capital of Germany, is also the largest city in the country.
Geographically, Berlin is located to the west of the border with Poland. At the closest point, the distance between Berlin and the border of Poland is only 44 miles. Berlin is rich in natural beauty, having a lot of green areas that, with the help of the government, have been transformed into beautiful parks.
Some Interesting Facts about Berlin
- Berlin has as many as 1,700 bridges, making it a worthy rival to Venice
- In terms of total area, Berlin is one of the largest cities in Europe. The capital of Germany could fit 9 cities the size of Paris into its territory
- The city has around 6,500 restaurants, 550 ice cream parlors, and 2,800 sandwich shops
- Berlin has more animals in its zoos than any other city. Due to its past division, the city has two zoos
#8 Los Angeles Map Posters
We have a map for the Big Apple, now it’s time to have one for the City of Angels.
Los Angeles (Spanish for “the angels”) is a must-visit destination if you’re looking for sunny weather and a spacious feel.
Modern Los Angeles is a text-book global city with a massive influence on global trade, business, entertainment, sports, culture, fashion, science, media, research, education, medicine, and technology. The birthplace of the modern film industry, it’s a city that always has something exciting to offer
Interesting Facts about Los Angeles:
- When Los Angeles was founded, the full name of the city was “El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles”
- The number of cars in the city is higher than the number of people
- Beverly Hills used to be just a modest lima bean ranch
- If Los Angeles was a country, its economy would be larger than that of Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, and Sweden
- The Hollywood sign originally said “Hollywoodland”
Now it’s your turn
Hopefully you find these maps as inspiring as we do!
City map posters are a great way to get acquainted with the local geography before visiting a place, all the while ensuring you have a beautiful piece of wall decor waiting for you back at home.